Commonwealth Scholars are invited to apply to attend the third ACU Commonwealth Residential School, being held from Thursday 8-Monday 12 August 2013 at Cumberland Lodge, Windsor Great Park, United Kingdom.
The Commonwealth Residential School was instigated by the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) in 2011. It aims to provide a forum to bring together high quality students from every corner of the Commonwealth to discuss interdisciplinary issues of global importance.
In 2013, the United Kingdom will host the School for the first time. Since it will coincide with the ACU’s Centenary, the theme of the event will be ‘The world in 2113: what will it be like, how can we prepare?’. Delegates will consider what the world might be like in another 100 years, and what measures society needs to put in place to anticipate this. Topics might include:
- Keynote speech – Will there be a world in a hundred years’ time?
- The world economy – Where will power lie in a hundred years’ time?
- International relations – Will there be a Commonwealth in a hundred years’ time?
- Education and training – What skills will society need in a hundred years’ time?
- Science and technology – What will be the main innovations in the next century?
- Communications – How will we keep in touch and what will the implications be?
- Faith – Will religion enhance or restrict our lives in the next century?
- Demography – What will the population be like in a hundred years’ time?
- Gender – Is a hundred years too soon to expect gender equity?
How to apply – Commonwealth Scholars
Applications are now closed – links to application forms have been removed.
Commonwealth Scholars (individuals who have been awarded a scholarship by the CSC) wishing to apply to attend should complete the application form and return it to the CSC by 4 April 2013.
Please note that this application form is for Commonwealth Scholars only. All other applicants should apply via the ACU event webpage and enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CSC is making available a number of bursaries for Commonwealth Scholars, covering costs of attendance at the school (accommodation, meals, and registration fees) and travel to the venue from within the UK.
Successful applicants will be notified by the end of May 2013.
The Commonwealth Residential School is open to those engaged on postgraduate courses at ACU member universities, or currently in their final year of undergraduate studies at such universities.