Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study in the UK are offered for citizens of developing Commonwealth countries. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth. For information on other scholarships offered by the CSC, visit our Apply page.
Applications for 2017 Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study are closed. Results will be sent to nominating universities in April 2017.
As of 14 December 2016, applicants may no longer be able to access their EAS application online. Do not worry – this is not a cause for concern. All applications from nominated candidates have been received by the CSC and are now being assessed for eligibility.
To be eligible for a Commonwealth Scholarship, you must send all the following documents to the CSC to be received by 6 January 2017:
- Two references
- A supporting statement from at least one of your prospective UK supervisors (for PhD study)
- Two supporting statements from your home and prospective UK supervisors (for split-site PhD study)
- Academic transcripts
- Proof that you are a citizen of a developing Commonwealth country – a copy of your passport or birth certificate
If you have not already provided these documents with your EAS application, you must send them in PDF format with your EAS number as the file name to email@example.com – please include your EAS number in the subject line. If you think that the CSC has not received any of these documents, you should resend them to this email address.
The CSC will email nominated candidates to notify them of any missing information from their application. However, it remains your responsibility to ensure that your referees and supervisor(s) have provided the necessary information either via the EAS or to the above email address by the deadline of 6 January 2017.
If you have not provided all of these documents by 6 January 2017, your application will automatically be deemed ineligible and no further discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
Information on 2018 Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study will be available on this page in August 2017.
- Commonwealth Scholarships 2017 terms and conditions – this is provided for information purposes only; details are subject to change for 2018
- EAS FAQs – applicants with questions about reference submission should see the FAQ
- EAS application portal – access for candidates that have applied for the latest round