Supplementary funding for postgraduate students

Commonwealth Scholars seeking additional financial support to complete postgraduate work, after their award has ended, have several options. In the first instance, Scholars should check with the university (or college) at which they are enrolled to establish if there are any supplementary grants available through the institution itself for which they would be eligible. It is also advisable in any case to contact the student welfare services of the university, particularly as applications for some awards may need to be made through them rather than direct to particular sources.


A selection of sources – websites, databases, and directories – which give information on awards and grants is listed below. Students are encouraged to check such sources for full details of awards currently available. Printed directories may be available in academic/reference libraries and international study abroad centres, though much of this data is now also available online.

Photos on flickr

@commschols on Twitter